Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Interview with Musician Nickita Stark

Nickita Stark performed in London's West End at the age of ten, and has performed as a cover act, around the UK, for the past eight years. Today, she works hard to perform and sell her own music.

While she performs as a solo act, she's been known to hire other musicians during live performances; and often finds them during open mic nights, or while working the music circuit. And has frequently been vocally compared to Christina Aguilera, with the performance panache of Lady Gaga.

When did you realize you wanted to be a professional musician?
I was five years of age. I was watching Michael Jackson performing "The way you make me feel" on the television, and itt was at that moment I realized I wanted to do exactly what he was doing.

How long was it from the time you decided to be a professional musician to the time you got your first paid gig as a musician?
It didn't take me too long from that decision; when I was ten I performed at Her Majesty's Theatre in "Stars In Their Eyes" along with Wayne Sleep.

What was the most difficult aspect of getting started as a paid musician?
The early problems encountered by many musicians, myself included, is convincing someone to give you your first gig. It's difficult when you are unknown but perserverance pays off in the end.

How did you get started recording music professionally?
I saw an advert in "The Stage" magazine for an audition to be in a girl band called "Touch 2 Wild", that was at a production company called "Chromasome".

I auditioned for that and they really liked me but wanted me as a solo artist. It was then I started recording my first album, Broken Glass, with the company under their new name of Niteshade Music Ltd.

What is your biggest obstacle when it comes to pitching yourself as a musician and what steps have you taken to overcome that obstacle?
The biggest obstacle is trying to get your music heard… to get your name out there. In this day and age with so many independent musicians and televison shows like, The X Factor, you need to bring something new to the table; you need to be unique and make people stand up and take notice.

Can you tell us a little bit about your latest album (or tour)?
I have been working on a second album with some top up and coming and established producers and will hopefully be recording this soon. I have already released one of the tracks from this album as a stand-alone single which, along with the music video, has gained me a lot of fans and positive feedback from other musicians and critics.

If someone were listening to you for the first time, what song, on your album, would you recommend they listen to?
I would recommend people listen to "Love Her" from my previous album as it is an upbeat dance tune with old school flavors.

I think lyrically it is one of my best songs.

I have recently recorded a live acoustic version of this song which can be seen on YouTube and have also had a couple of remixes of this track done recently.

How do you balance your life as a musician with your duties as a parent or spouse?
As a mother of three year old daughter, I have to balance my time between taking care of her and my singing career.

Luckily I have a very supportive family who helps me with childcare issues when I am performing, and I can put my daughter to bed before heading out to a gig and will be home when she wakes up in the morning.

What was the best writing-related advice you ever received when it comes to writing lyrics (or music)?
I have never been given any advice in particular, it's just something I have always done. I tend to write about personal experiences so it's from the heart and lyrically something everyone can relate to.

What influences the type of music you write (or play)?
I am heavily influenced by artists such as Michael Jackson and Mariah Carey in the way they write and perform.




Musically I am influenced by amazing artists and producers like Christina Aguilera, Rihanna and Artful Dodger.

What do you feel is the single most detrimental thing a musician could do to destroy his/her career?
A bad attitude is probably the thing that can ruin a career.

When gigging live, sound engineers and promoters always remember people who are rude, arrogant, turn up late or just generally an unprofessional attitude. A bad attitude can also alienate your fans, who are the people who support you and make you who you are.

What do you think music offers to the world, as a whole?
Music offers so much to people in many different ways. Inspirational lyrics can give you hope and comfort while inspiring you to greater things. It also unites people and gives people a release from real world stresses.

Music is very important to me as there is nothing else in the world that gives me a feeling like music does, whether it's performing or just listening to great music.

What’s ahead for your music?
As I have mentioned before, I am working on my second album, hopefully this will be the one that "makes it" for me. I will also be appearing at as many festivals as possible during the summer months as well as gigging around the London area."

You can learn more about Nickita Stark at www.nickitamusic.com

===============================================================================

Do not reprint this post without permission. © Alyice Edrich

This post was sponsored by The Dabbling Mum.

For more articles like this, or to read about running a homebased business, improving your skills as a writer, creating crafts with your children, or dealing with parenting and/or marriage issues, check out The Dabbling Mum eMagazine and shopping portal.

No comments:

Most Popular Posts Within Last 7 Days